Sore throats are par for the course this time of year. Not one to be left out, yours truly decided to sign up for one. This one is being put through the standard battery of Alka Seltzer Cold and Cough, lozenges and rest. For the waking hours I’ve discovered several beneficial food remedies from Rd.com, Health.com and Howstuffworks.com among other sites.
1) Apple Cider Vinegar – Mix a ½ cup of water with one teaspoon honey and one teaspoon apple cider vinegar. Be sure to drink it while it’s warm. Apple cider helps kill infections. It works really well.
2) Chicken Soup & Wonton Soup– This is a classic. The sodium of this or any soup has anti-inflammatory properties.
3) Orange Sherbert – the coolness reduces swelling inside the throat. It doesn’t really have to be orange. I just like that flavor.
4) Tea – “Tea contain antioxidants that are thought to strengthen immunity and ward off infection.”
5) Garlic – Suck on a piece of garlic. Garlic contains a compounds called allicin that kills bacteria.
6) Horseradish – This Russian remedy combines a tablespoon of horseradish with honey and glass of warm water.
7) Citrus – Lime, lemon or orange juice can all help ease the throat.
8) Oatmeal – a hot, satisfying breakfast that is healthy and brings relief.
9) Licorice root mixed with water.
10) Gargling – a glass of warm water with salt provides instant relief.